Maybe you love edibles and this is an easy sell, or perhaps you ate some weird brownies and tripped balls and now you hate them. However you are approaching edibles, just be aware that everyone has a different constitution and the way you metabolize cannabis is also going to be unique to you!
Did you know that eating weed actually creates a different type of THC? Because it needs to move through the liver, the chemical compound actually changes and can feel like a totally different type of drug. Often it’s why people will feel it more in their body than in their brain. (Insert "The more you know" starbow)
Canna-Coconut Oil Recipe
This is going to make about a cup of infused coconut oil which doesn't sound like a lot, *but* when you are using 1/4-1/2 tsp per "dose", it really lasts.
Think of this as like, a sourdough recipe. It’s going to take hours, but most of it is hands off! This is a great Saturday project.
I prefer coconut oil to a butter type of carrier because it’s just way more versatile that way. You can use it in savoury food (dilute it with more coconut oil), add it to baked goods, your own icecream, make raw treats, not to mention it could be a pretty crazy massage oil (think on your abdomen when you have cramps) or even to use as a lube- but remember! 1/4tsp or whatever you figure out is your sweet spot!
Last thing!! You will probably get a contact high! This time when I made the oil it took about 3 hours to realize I was pretty accidentally stoned, and when I made the turtles the next day, I used gloves and took every precaution and still got a (smaller) buzz off it. Just so we're all aware.
You will need:
1. Preheat your oven to 250*
You need to decarboxylate your weed, which is a fancy way of saying you need to heat it up to make the THC more bioavailable. Don’t skip this step otherwise whatever you make will be mega weak. Your home space is going to smell like weed.
Cover a baking sheet with a silipat or parchment paper and lay your buds out evenly. Pop them in the oven for 40 minutes and give them a stir or a little shake every 10 minutes to make sure they brown evenly. For the love of god be diligent and don’t burn it! See the pic above for what it should look like after decarbing.
2. Use a food processor or a hand grinder to bust your browned buds up. You aren’t going for a fine grind here, try to keep it pretty coarse. Use gloves here if you don’t want to get high (but remember that you probably will anyway)
3. Melt the coconut oil and the water together on the stovetop in a good heavy bottomed pot, add in your cannabis and let it just kind of hang out together uncovered on a low heat. You are not bringing this to a boil at all. Keep an eye on it for the first 10 minutes or so while it’s getting it’s groove on. I left my burner on level 1 so as long as you can see a little bit of action and it’s not just sitting there like tepid water, I think you’re good. Let it do it’s thing for about 3 hours, and then remove from heat and let cool for about 10-15 minutes.
4. Use a good sized bowl (bonus if it has a pour spout) and lay your cheesecloth over top of it. (You can also use a nut milk bag, just keep in mind that you never know for sure if you’ll be able to get all the THC out of it.) Pour your coconut oil concoction into the bowl, through the cheesecloth, draw up all four corners of your cloth and lift out the cannabis part that will hopefully be more or less strained out, though there will likely be some fine particulate matter left behind. Make a little bundle, tie a string on top and pop this in the freezer if you want- you can make it as a tea later. Just be aware that THC is fat soluble to you’ll need to warm it up with some coconut milk, or similar- not water. Make something like a treat chai on a rainy day.
5. Carefully pour the coconut oil mixture into a wide mouth jar or container and refrigerate.
6. Once the coconut oil has hardened in the fridge, the leftover water will have seperated and be at the bottom. Take a hot butter knife and make a little hole in the top, pour the water off and ta-da! You’re done!
7. Now the fun part: when you have the time and hours ahead of you, and aren’t already totally stoned because you got a contact high making weed oil, take 1/4 tsp of your coconut oil (of course you can even do 1/8 if you want!) and let it ride. Don’t be a goof and take more before waiting! If it’s been 3-5 hours and nothing happened, 1/2 tsp next time, and so on.
Using a lot of baker math + weed math, I’ve calculated that if you’re using a strain that’s 20% THC, then a 1/4tsp is likely going to be around 10mg’s of THC - which is a pretty decent amount. The beauty here is that you can always dilute your canna-coconut oil into normal coconut oil and use that to microdose. Gosh the world is your weed oyster here!
If you have any questions at all- please comment here, email me, or do a DM on instagram, I know this is dense and tricky and we all want to get it right.
Check out Part 2 of this incredible edibles blog post to learn what to do with your new canna-coconut oil!